Monday, August 24, 2015

Week 5: Building Base Knowledge

Week 5: Building Base Knowledge

Assignment 1:
EarlyWord has been my go-to resource. I love knowing what is coming out and up! One particular category that I love is the "RA Alert"; basically, it tells you about readalikes or new authors that are about to blow up. Particularly popular right now (to no one's surprise) are Girl On The Train readalikes.

I also like how it follows the trends from all the lists and publishers. I can narrow down the Barnes & Noble and Amazon best-seller lists, too.

Assignment 2:
I'm at a new branch at Rosedale, so I was eager to learn about which authors are most popular at this branch. At Lansdowne, James Patterson and Urban Fiction rule the day, so I was anxious to see if my knowledge of those books would translate well here. I've been very pleased that two of my strongest RA interactions so far have centered on Urban Fiction (a customer actually came into the branch to thank me for recommending the Murderville series to her!), so I've retained some of that from LA. Of course, James Patterson is the most circ'ed author at RO (just like every single other branch). Popular authors also include David Baldacci, John Grisham, and Patricia Cornwell (no surprises there). But the #2 and #3 most popular authors? Nora Roberts and Debbie Macomber. Crap.

Romance novels do not stay on shelves here. At all. This is a little intimidating for me because that is not in my wheelhouse. My first way to combat it is to read some Debbie Macomber and some Nora Roberts. (I'm also so glad that Debbie Macomber will be the basis for the Genre Boot Camp in October!) The second way to combat my intimidation? Using The EarlyWord "Titles to Know and Recommend" feature, to keep an eye on upcoming releases from these popular authors.

Assignment 3: Amazon Best Books of the Month

Days of Awe: A Novel by Lauren Fox

When Isabel's best friend dies in a car accident, she's suddenly thrown into a life outside of her comfort zone: her husband leaves and her preteen daughter becomes a monster she doesn't recognize. Alone, she feels as though she needs to learn how to navigate a new life. 

Perfect for fans of authors like Anne Tyler, this novel is all about characterization: how the fragile Isabel reacts to the circumstances around her in often hilarious and unexpected ways. It is being heralded as a dark comedy, so those readers looking for a wry tone will not be disappointed. I can imagine this being popular with book clubs.




No comments:

Post a Comment