Saturday, July 11, 2015

Week 3, Assignment 1: "The RA Conversation" by Neal Wyatt

Hey, our friend Neal Wyatt is back again! The most important thing I took away from the article is the fact that no one expects me to know every book ever published. Why do I so often put that type of pressure on myself? Oh yeah, I guess it's because he also says we only have 15 seconds to grab their attention. On the floor, in front of a shelf, it feels like 2 seconds! I do try to ask as many questions as possible and try to narrow down what the reader is looking for best in a book. I have also found it beneficial to explore the most popular authors (James Patterson) and the most popular sections (Urban Fiction) we have in the library. I found Vanessa Irvin Morris' The Readers' Guide to Street Literature enormously helpful in understanding the subtle nuances and subgenres of Street Lit, and armed with that knowledge, I feel pretty confident in finding authors that appeal to Street Lit readers. 

I'm grateful that my friends and family look to me for good book recommendations because it lets me practice my RA skills in a way that doesn't make me nervous. Believe it or not, RA is one of my least-utilized skills as a librarian at my branch, so when someone comes in looking for a book, I really want to impress him/her with a book that will knock his/her socks off!

Week 3, Assignment 2: Nancy Pearl's Book Recommendations

If Nancy Pearl wants to read the phone book and comment on the people's names or numbers she likes best, I'm willing to listen. I really dig how she considers which books will appeal best to certain types of readers; she doesn't spend too long on one book, but highlights what will grab someone's attention immediately. 



Week 3, Assignment 3: Customer Conversations

Customer 1: Eat, Pray, Love-Lover

The first thing I noticed about this reader was that she was very into what everyone else is reading or popular (she says so, and also the Oprah booklist was a big tip); I also know that a lot of the Oprah selections are more literary, so I might steer her towards 2014's amazing Station Eleven as there's a lot of meat there for a Book Club to discuss and enjoy. She also seems to enjoy the memoir, so I might suggest funny women like Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Jen Lancaster, and Mindy Kaling's memoirs as well. 

Customer 2: I. Hate. Twilight.

A vampire story that *isn't* Twilight! Do those exist? My first thought might be Anne Rice, but maybe this person is looking for something a little more lighthearted? In this case, I would recommend the Charlaine Harris books. It's a series, there are vampires, quirky characters, and not a lot of teen angst! If they're looking for something else, Laurell K. Hamilton's books are very popular and more sinister.

Customer 3: Non-fiction/Action/Adventure

This reader wants something fast-paced and true. They like something that would be difficult to put down. A good fit would be Erik Larson's books (probably The Devil In The White City would be the best fit) and Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment